What Is the JET Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece?
The JET is a bright saxophone mouthpiece with excellent projection, extra easy altissimo register and yet can be played with a warm versatile feel. The JodyJazz JET Alto Saxophone mouthpiece is free blowing, easy and fun to play mouthpiece that captures the full range of tonal qualities of the instrument. The JET has a clean, focused sound with strong projection and cut, while maintaining extraordinary versatility. The JodyJazz JET is excellent for Rock, Funk, Blues, Smooth Jazz and Latin Music, Reggae, Ska, Funk, Hip Hop, Top 40, Duranguense, Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, Compa, Tejano, Musica Popular Brasileira, but at the same time we think that many alto sax players will be surprised at how well it plays lead alto in a big band and due to it's versatility, blends nicely with a concert band or saxophone quartet. In other words the JET is a great saxophone mouthpiece that seems to appeal to a very broad variety of players. The thing to remember is that no two players are alike so that it’s all about finding the mouthpiece that responds to your morphology (physical makeup). Morphology means that you have a chamber in your mouth and throat which reacts with the mouthpiece so some people sound better on a small chamber mouthpiece like the JET and some people sound better with a larger chamber piece like the JodyJazz HR*.
Four Goals in Creating the JET Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece
- BRIGHT - To create a bright free blowing mouthpiece that is versatile while having more projection than most mouthpieces.
- ALTISSIMO - To create a mouthpiece that easily produces great altissimo notes. The Altissimo is actually helped by our new shorter facing curve, which is brand new to the JET.
- GREAT PRICE - To make an affordable sax mouthpiece that can be made with the same cutting edge technology as our metal sax mouthpieces, but costs much less than a metal mouthpiece.
- GREAT QUALITY - Each mouthpiece is individually play tested by Jody Espina or one of our professional saxophonists on staff to insure a perfect seal with the reed and proper response throughout the range of the saxophone. We demand and achieve the most rigorous quality control possible.
JodyJazz JET Alto Sax Mouthpiece Available Tip Openings
- 5 = .074
- 6 = .080
- 7 = .086
- 8 = .091
- 9 = .102
- 10 = .109
The JET Difference
- 5 Axis CNC Machining - Allows for extremely precise manufacturing and repeatability.
- Unique Design - The unique inner shape of the JodyJazz JET Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece gives it a unique sound and feel.
- New Facing Curve - Allows for great altissimo.
What Does The JET Do?
- Clean Focused Bright Sound
- Free Blowing
- Easy Altissimo
- Responsive Low End
- Power and Projection
How Does The JET Do It?
- Small Chamber
- Precision - CNC Machined
- Shorter, Proprietary Facing Length
- Hand Finished Baffle and Tip Rale
- Play tested by Jody Espina or Staff
Hand Finished and Play Tested
Every JodyJazz mouthpiece is hand finished to insure the absolute best quality. In addition, each mouthpiece is individually play tested by Jody Espina or one of our professional saxophonists on staff to insure a perfect seal with the reed and proper response throughout the range of the saxophone.
Special Notes on the JET Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece
Due to the shorter facing curve on the JET a softer reed than you might normally use could be appropriate. This is because the reed actually has less length in which to vibrate. This doesn't hinder playing at all, in fact it makes the JET one of the greatest altissimo pieces of all time. Altissimo still works great with a little softer reed. These are my observations and how I like to play the JET. For example on a JodyJazz DV alto 7 I play a Rico Jazz Select 3M and on the JET I prefer a 3S. The JET is still free-blowing but I think the JET's shorter facing curve makes a difference with the reed. The main message is that anytime you are trying a new mouthpiece two things are very important: finding the right reed for the mouthpiece and making sure that while you try the mouthpiece you are in tune. Don't assume that it will go on the neck in the same place as your previous mouthpiece. In fact the JET pushes on further than many mouthpieces. I love the JET and I hope you will too.
Jody Espina – President, JodyJazz.